Part 2 与学习教育相关的会话
1. A Bachelor's degree will be awarded to a student who successfully completes over 120 units.
要想取得学士学位,你需要完成120个教学单元。
重点解析
award作及物动词时,意为“颁发,授予;给予;判定”,通常用作award sth (to sb)=award (sb) sth;作不可数名词时,表示“裁定;决定”;作可数名词时,表示“奖品;奖状;奖金;助学金(英式英语)”。
情景对话
Steven: Could you tell me how many credits would be enough for a Bachelor's degree?
Mr. Li: A Bachelor's degree will be awarded to a student who successfully completes over 120 units, including general and specific requirements, for his or her undergraduate major and elective courses.
史蒂文:您能告诉我学士学位需要多少学分吗?
李老师:要想取得学士学位,你需要完成120个教学单元,包括针对大学本科的主修课程和选修课程,一般学习要求和特殊要求。
相似表达
To get a Bachelor's degree you should successfully complete over 120 units.
要想取得学士学位,你需要完成120个教学单元。
Only when you successfully complete over 120 units can you get a Bachelor's
degree.
要想取得学士学位,你需要完成120个教学单元。
If you want to earn a Bachelor's degree, you need complete over 120 units.
要想取得学士学位,你需要完成120个教学单元。
2. l major in Economics.
我的专业是经济学。
重点解析
major作不及物动词时,意为“主修(大专院校的)科目”,通常用于美式英语中,用作major in sth;也可以作可数名词,表示“(大专院校学生的)主修科目/主修课程/专业;某专业的学生”。
情景对话
Bill: I major in Economics. 比尔:我的专业是经济学。
Steven: So do I. 史蒂文:我也是。
相似表达
My major is Economics.
我的专业是经济学。
I take Economics as my major.
我的专业是经济学。
I'm an English major.
我是英语专业的学生。
3. Choose an organization relevant to your profession.
选择和你专业有关的社团。
重点解析
形容词relevant意为“有关的;切题的”,通常用作(be) relevant (to sth/sb),相当于be connected with..., be related to...;其名词形式为relevance,通常用作have/bear some relevance to...,表示“与……有关”。
情景对话
Bill: Could you give me some advice?
Steven: Choose an organization relevant to your profession.
比尔:你能给我一些建议吗?
史蒂文:选择和你专业有关的社团。
相似表达
You had better choose an organization related to your major.
你最好选择和你专业有关的社团。
After graduating from college he tried to get a job in his major—Biology.
大学毕业后,他设法寻找一份与他所学的生物专业有关的工作。
Of all my classmates, less than half work in a field related to the subject we learned at college.
我所有的大学同学里,从事的工作与我们大学所学专业相关的人不足一半。
4. Maybe l should make a plan about learning biochemistry, which is a mess for me.
也许我应该制定计划学好生物化学,我的生物化学实在太差了。
重点解析
make a plan about是动词词组,其主语一般是人,意思是“为……制定计划”, about后面可以跟名词、代词或动名词。
情景对话
Steven: Maybe I should make a plan about learning biochemistry, which is a mess for me.
Kate: Sounds great!
史蒂文:也许我应该制定计划学好生物化学,我的生物化学实在太差了。
凯特:听起来很不错!
相似表达
My intention is to further my study abroad.
我打算出国深造。
Jack planned to work his way through college.
杰克打算勤工俭学读完大学。
5. Studying professional knowledge now paves the way for our future.
我们现在学习的专业知识是为了将来的工作铺路。
重点解析
pave作及物动词时,表示“用石或砖铺(路)”,通常用作pave sth (with sth);动词词组pave the way (for sb/sth)意为“(为某人/某事物)创造条件,做准备”。
情景对话
Bill: Studying professional knowledge now paves the way for our future.
Steven: I could not agree with you more.
比尔:我们现在学习的专业知识是为了将来的工作铺路。
史蒂文:我十分同意你的观点。
相似表达
Studying professional knowledge now lays the foundation for the future.
我们现在学习的专业知识是为了将来的工作打基础。
Studying professional knowledge now will be beneficial to our future.
我们现在学习的专业知识是有益于将来的。
Studying professional knowledge now will do good to our future.
我们现在学习的专业知识是有益于将来的。
6. l started out as a journalism major in college, but later switched to English.
大学里,我一开始学的是新闻学,不过后来,我转到了英语专业。
重点解析
switch既可作及物动词也可作不及物动词,意为“(尤指突然使某事物)转变/改变”,通常用作switch (sth) (over) (to sth);也可以表示“(使某人/某事物)交换位置;转换”,用作switch (sth) (with sb/sth)=switch (sth) over/round。
情景对话
Bill: I started out as a journalism major in college, but later switched to English. Steven: Is there any particular reason?
比尔:大学里,我一开始学的是新闻学,不过后来,我转到了英语专业。
史蒂文:有什么特殊原因吗?
相似表达
She wanted to change her major into maths.
她想转读数学专业。
He suddenly switches his major over to economics.
他突然转读经济学专业。
The graduate major she registered for is interdisciplinary and of great difficulty.
她报考的研究生专业是跨学科的,难度很大。
7. How long does it take to earn a Bachelor's degree?
取得学士学位要多长时间?
重点解析
bachelor作可数名词时,意为“获学士学位的人”, a bachelor's degree表示“学士学位”, Bachelor of Arts/Science表示“文/理学士”,而Master of Arts (MA)表示“文学硕士学位”。bachelor也可表示“未婚男子,单身汉”。
情景对话
Steven: How long does it take to earn a Bachelor's degree?
Mr. Li: Normally it requires four years.
史蒂文:取得学士学位要多长时间?
李老师:一般需要4年。
相似表达
How long will take be to get a Bachelor's degree?
取得学士学位要多长时间?
What shall I do to get a Bachelor's degree?
我要怎么做才能获得学士学位?
I wonder how long it takes to get a Bachelor's degree.
我想知道,取得学士学位需要多长时间。
8. This course is designed for those who want to teach abroad.
这门课程是为想到国外教书的人而开设的。
重点解析
be designed for sb/sth为固定词组,意为“为某目的/用途而设计/计划”,也可以用作be designed as sth, be designed to do, design sth (for sb/sth)。
情景对话
Bill: Do you have any idea about this course?
Steven: This course is designed for those who want to teach abroad.
比尔:你知道这门课程吗?
史蒂文:这门课程是为想到国外教书的人而开设的。
相似表达
The subjects include mathematics, science, technology, language arts and foreign languages.
课程涉及数学、科学、技术、语言艺术和外语。
Some courses in college are required/compulsory while others are electives.
大学里有的课程是必修的,有的是选修的。
She took International Law as an elective (course) this semester.
这学期她选修了国际法。
9. lt's your duty to plan his future.
你有责任为他的未来做计划。
重点解析
It's one's duty to do sth意为“某人有责任去做某事”,其中it是形式主语,真正的主语是后面的不定式。one's需根据人称的变化而变化。
情景对话
Steven: It's your duty to plan his future.
Julia: No, I couldn't agree with you. It's his own matter to plan his own future.
Steven: I don't want to argue with you. Anyway, I will send him to school this year.
史蒂文:你有责任为他的未来做计划。
茱莉娅:不,我不同意你的观点,为他的将来做打算是他自己的事。
史蒂文:我不想和你争论。不管怎样,我今年都要送他去读书。
相似表达
He is old enough to attain knowledge from school.
他到了去学校学习知识的年龄了。
Both of us have to work and we can't squeeze time to take care of him.
我们两个都要工作,挤不出时间来照顾他。
I think it is the right age for Mike to go to school.
我想迈克到了去学校读书的年龄了。