30. How can you bear living in such a messy dorm?
你们怎么能忍受住在这么脏乱的宿舍里呢?
重点解析
动词bear意为“忍受,忍耐;承受”,多用于口语,在否定句或疑问句中,与can/could连用,后接名词、代词、不定式或动名词;也可以用于否定句中,与直接宾语comparison, inspection, repeating, thinking about等连用,表示“适宜于(某事物);允许”。
情景对话
Steven: Oh, my god. How can you bear living in such a messy dorm?
Dick: Our place is clean, compared with others.
史蒂文:噢,我的天啊。你们怎么能忍受住在这么脏乱的宿舍里呢?
迪克:和其他人的宿舍比起来,我们宿舍算是干净的了。
相似表达
How could you bear such a messy dorm?
你们怎么能忍受这么脏乱的宿舍里呢?
How could you endure living in such a messy dorm?
你们怎么能忍受住在这么乱的宿舍里呢?
I cannot bear to live in so messy a dorm.
我无法忍受住在这么脏乱的宿舍里。
31. l bet nobody will care.
我打赌没有人会在意的。
重点解析
I bet (that)...用于口语中,意为“我敢肯定”,相当于I am certain that..., I'm sure that...;而you bet则表示“你可以确信,的确,当然”,也用于口语中,相当于you may be sure (of it); bet one's bottom dollar (on sth/that...)用于口语中,表示“绝对确信某事物”。
情景对话
Steven: I think the dormitory management system needs to be restarted.
Dick: I bet nobody will care.
史蒂文:我觉得宿舍管理制度还是应该重新执行起来。
迪克:我打赌没有人会在意的。
相似表达
I bet you ten to one that no one will care about the rules.
我打赌,十有八九,没有人会在意这些规章制度。
I bet my bottom dollar that nobody will care about the rules.
我打赌没有人会在意这些规章制度。
I am quite sure that nobody will care about the rules.
我确信,没有人会在意这些规章制度。
32. Have you ever tried to clean it once since you moved in at the beginning of the semester?
自从这个学期开学你们搬进来,你们打扫过宿舍吗?
重点解析
at the beginning of...意为“在……起初/开头”,而at/in the beginning表示“最初,首先”, from/since the beginning表示“从开头”, from beginning to end表示“从头到尾,自始至终”。
情景对话
Steven: Have you ever tried to clean it once since you moved in at the beginning of the semester?
Dick: Actually I just swept the floor three days ago.
史蒂文:自从这个学期开学你们搬进来,你们打扫过宿舍吗?
迪克:事实上,我三天前刚扫过地。
相似表达
Nobody was willing to clean the dorm at the beginning.
起初没有人愿意打扫宿舍。
Never does he clean the dorm.
他从不打扫宿舍。
He helped us clean the dorm from beginning to end.
他帮助我们打扫宿舍,从始至终。
33. The dormitory is to the east of the library.
宿舍在图书馆的东边。
重点解析
介词表示方位,to the east of...意为“在……东面”,指在范围之外;in the east of...表示“在……东面”,指在范围内;on the east of...表示“在……东方”,指相临。
情景对话
Steven: Where is the dormitory?
Dick: The dormitory is to the east of the library.
史蒂文:宿舍在哪里?
迪克:宿舍在图书馆的东边。
相似表达
Opposite the building is a dorm.
楼的对面是宿舍。
Beside the dorm stands the dining hall.
宿舍的旁边是食堂。
The dormitory is next to the canteen.
宿舍的旁边是食堂。
34. The school is short of domitories.
这所学校缺少宿舍。
重点解析
be short of...意为“(某物)不够;缺乏(某物)”,而short (of...)表示“(在重量/长度/数量等方面)未达到通常标准的/短缺的”; be short on...用于口语中,表示“缺少(某种特质)”。
情景对话
Steven: The school is short of domitories.
Dick: That is terrible.
史蒂文:这所学校缺少宿舍。
迪克:真糟糕。
相似表达
The school lacks domitories.
这所学校缺少宿舍。
Dormitory buildings might house a small number of students.
学生宿舍也许能供一小部分学生住宿。
35. There is a lawn in front of the dormitory.
宿舍前有一片草坪。
重点解析
in front of...意为“在……前面”,指在事物范围以外的前面;而in the front of...表示“在……前面”,指在事物范围内的前面。the front通常用作单数形式,意为“正面,前面(与介词of连用);海边,湖边,海滨;(战争中)前线;前沿”。
情景对话
Steven: There is a lawn in front of the dormitory. You will not miss it.
Dick: I see. Thank you.
史蒂文:宿舍前有一片草坪。你不会错过的。
迪克:我知道了。谢谢。
相似表达
The dormitory is opposite the canteen.
宿舍在餐厅的对面。
The KFC is not far away from here.
肯德基离此处不远。
There is an ice-cream store near the school gate.
校门口附近有一家冰淇淋店。
36. Dormitories in this college are all kept in good condition.
这所大学的学生宿舍都完好无损。
重点解析
词组in good/bad repair=in a good/bad state of repair,意为“维修良好/失修”,相当于in good/bad condition。
情景对话
Steven: Dormitories in the school are all kept in good condition.
Dick: Says you.
史蒂文:这所大学的学生宿舍都完好无损。
迪克:我不相信。
相似表达
Each dormitory and classroom is clean and tidy.
每间宿舍和教室都很整洁。
Our dorm is as clean as theirs.
我们的宿舍和他们的一样干净。
37. As a matter of fact, l hate the lack of privacy in the dormitory.
事实上,我讨厌宿舍,因为没有私人空间。
重点解析
as a matter of fact意为“事实上,说真的,其实”,用于加强语气,相当于in fact, in truth, in point of fact;而the fact (of the matter) is (that)...=the fact remains (that)...则表示“虽然话是这么说,但事实是……”。
情景对话
Steven: How about living in the dormitory this semester?
Dick: As a matter of fact, I hate the lack of privacy in the dormitory.
史蒂文:这学期住宿舍怎么样?
迪克:事实上,我讨厌宿舍,因为没有私人空间。
相似表达
In point of fact, I prefer to lodge with my uncle.
事实上,我更愿意借住在叔叔家。
To tell you the truth, I dislike the lack of privacy in the dormitory.
说实话,我讨厌宿舍,因为没有私人空间。
In truth, the lack of privacy in the dormitory makes me uneasy.
事实上,宿舍里没有私人空间,这让我感到不安。
38. The female dormitory will be out of bounds to all male students.
女生宿舍禁止男生入内。
重点解析
词组(be) out of bounds (to sb)意为“(指某地方)禁止(某人)入内;谢绝(某人)参观”,美式英语中,通常用作off limits;而within/beyond/outside/out of the bounds of...表示“在/超出/超出/超出……界限”。
情景对话
Steven: The female dormitory will be out of bounds to all male students.
Dick: Thank you for your warning.
史蒂文:女生宿舍禁止男生入内。
迪克:谢谢你提醒我。
相似表达
Alcohol is banned in dorms.
学生的宿舍内禁止饮酒。
No smoking in the dormitory.
禁止在宿舍内抽烟。
I have to be in my dormitory by 11:30 p.m.
我必须在晚上11点半以前回到宿舍。
39. But you must pay a deposit on the card.
但你得交押金。
重点解析
deposit作可数名词时,意为“押金,保证金;定金,定钱”,动词词组pay a deposit on...(to sb)意为“为……付押金/定钱”;也可以表示“存款”, on deposit表示“在定期存款账户中”。
情景对话
Steven: I hear that the card is free.
Lisa: Yes, it is. But you must pay a deposit on the card.
史蒂文:我听说卡是免费的。
丽萨:是免费的。但你得交押金。
相似表达
You should pay a deposit on the library card.
你要为图书证交付押金。
There will be a refund when returning the card, right?
退卡时会退还押金,是吗?
Let me have your library card.
请把你的借书证交给我。